Gift and Prepaid Cards
Bring your most creative concepts to life, attract more consumers and revenue, and ensure smooth, easy card issuance with innovative gift and prepaid card solutions.
With Datacard Solutions, you can:
- Issue cards anywhere - instantly, centrally and/or remotely.
- Deliver unique, highly personalized cards quickly and conveniently.
- Meet increasing flexibility demands with innovative card personalisation technologies.
- Drive down cost-per-card by increasing card manufacturing efficiency.
Learn About Card Types
A gift card is a type of stored-value payment card commonly issued by retailers and banks. Gift cards are preloaded with a set value. There are two major types of gift cards – those that can be used only at one store chain or one location (closed loop) and those that can be used anywhere (open loop).
- Closed loop gift cards generally carry no fees or expiration date – the issuing store makes its money off the profit from selling merchandise.
- Open loop gift cards always carry fees. Because they are issued by banks or credit card transaction processors, such as Visa or MasterCard, fees are the only way they can profitably issue gift cards.
A prepaid card is a form of secured card that is tied to a previously deposited cash balance. Purchases made with prepaid cards are checked for approval against existing funds. Essentially a stored-value card, they usually carry major association logos and can be spent in the same way.